Design students at UTSA can join and participate in multiple professional organizations including the International Interior Design Association, the student chapter of the International Interior Design Association (IIDA Campus Center). UTSA’s IIDA Campus Center was the first student chapter established in Texas. Its aim, as with all student organizations listed, is to foster camaraderie among peers and serve as the nucleus of the students’ networking for internships and professional careers. Interior design students are also encouraged to join allied student organizations including the American Institute of Architects Student Chapter (AIAS), American Society of Interior Design (ASID), and the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). These organizations offer opportunities for students to network with peers and professionals, and engage in practice-related activities such as seminars, continuing education programs, lectures, fundraisers, and community outreach opportunities. Some of the activities sponsored and/or organized by IIDA Campus Center and other student organizations include:
- IN.Dex – a student-initiated campus vendor fair for product and materials suppliers to showcase their goods to students faculty and professionals
- IIDA’s Imagine That Fundraiser – a theme-based annual fundraiser for the IIDA professional organization in support of scholarships and other funding needs. Students don’t just attend, but are also active in planning, soliciting donations, and event set-up.
- IIDA’s Olympiad – family-focused event and design competition
- IIDA TX/Ok Student Day in Houston TX – participation in design charette and portfolio review by professionals
- IIDA Campus Center along with Texas Association of Interior Designers participated in trip to meet with state legislators in Austin, Texas.
- Parking Day 2011 – Annual worldwide celebration of people and open space. Activities focused on a design competition to transform metered parking spaces into urban socialization spaces. Sponsored by the Architectural Foundation of San Antonio.
- USGBC sponsored competitions focused on energy efficiency and sustainable design ideals.
- IIDA sponsored session to develop presentation, portfolio, resume building skills, interviewing tips and professional etiquette.
- AIAS participation in San Antonio's Luminaria - an event to showcase area artists and their work
- AIAS Sand Castle Competition, Galveston, Texas